Saturday, March 22, 2008

Apple Service Extraordinaire!

I have always been a geeky computer guy. I bought my first computer while I was in college in 1980. It was an old CPM based computer called a REX built in a wooden case. Through the years I’ve had Northstar, Timex, Osborn, Corona, IBM, HP, Compaq and Dell computers. I’ve even built a couple of my own, but I have never had an Apple!

Fast forward to the present......

In May, my oldest daughter Jordie got an Apple MacBook. She loves this computer and takes it everywhere. With the built in WiFi, she can surf, IM and download from anywhere in the house or the world (and she does).

When it comes to Apple, I’m out of my comfort zone and I don’t always know how to operate it. So I decided to go to the Apple Store at the "Biltmore" to see if they could answer some questions.


This is a great store if you love computers, gadgets and music (which I do). I was greeted at the door by a cheerful young woman. She asked if she could help me. I told her I had a few questions. She directed me to Doug and said he would answer all my questions.

Doug was incredible! Not only did he take the time to answer the questions I had when I walked in, but he patiently answered all of the questions I thought of while I was there too. We talked about hardware, software, compatibility issues, iPhones and the internet. He went as far as taking a MacBook apart in front of me to show me how to put additional memory sticks in the computer. He then said, if I wanted, I could just bring the notebook in and they would install it for me.

When I finally asked my last question, Doug reached out shook my hand, thanked me for coming in and gave me his business card. He said; call him direct if I have any more questions.

I have always heard how helpful the staff is at the Apple Store. They should win a J.D. Powers award for their service. Sure beats the old days when I had to go to a warehouse in an industrial park to have my computer questions answered. Or even worse today, when I'm on the phone with someone in a foreign country that I can't understand.

In the radio business, all of the software that we use is PC/Windows based. Doug showed my how I can seamlessly load that software on a MAC. I might just do that some day…

2 comments:

Aaron Matos said...

Make the leap Michael, you won't go back. You almost need to experience the iphone and mac everyday to really understand how much better the experience is. I've owned dozens upon dozens of pcs, now just a bunch of Apple product. I sold out because their products are just better today. Make the jump, you can still run all your pc stuff..

Michael Mallace said...

Aaron, I was in LA this weekend and spent an hour at the Apple store. I'm almost there. mm