Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Downgraded! ... Save Money on Gas

Over the weekend I Downgraded! I downgraded from a six-cylinder Infiniti to a four-cylinder Honda. I could not be happier. It is a great car that is very fuel efficient. Hopefully, I will get around thirty miles per gallon on average as opposed to the twenty (which is not bad) that I get on my Infiniti.

Evidently, I'm not the only one making the switch. J.D. Power reports that the auto market is shifting and that "smaller rides", four-cylinder vehicles had one of their strongest months on record during June.

Conversely, "In contrast, sales of eight-cylinder vehicles dropped industry-wide to just 13 percent in June, driven in part by a shift to six cylinder powertrains in the large sedan market," the report noted.

Read about it here:

Cars with poor gas mileage are having a huge impact on media sellers. With gas prices well over four dollars per gallon, the cost of doing business is increasing exponentially. More fuel efficient cars are the way to go.

Although, not everyone is in a position to buy a car right now. Here's a tip to save on gas.

Tip: Sellers need to be smarter about the way that they plan their day and week.

Sellers should divide the market into four quadrants (North, South, East and West). Each day they should focus on one quadrant and see clients and prospects in that area. For example, on Monday they should focus on the West side of town and Tuesday they should be on the North Side etc. This will eliminate huge drive-times between appointments and eliminate the need to drive back and forth across town wasting time and money on gas.


I'm reminded of the Five P's of selling that my friend Bruce Olson the National Sales Manager at Sandusky Radio in Phoenix always used to talk about.

"Poor Planing Promotes Poor Performance"

In today's economy, poor planning costs you MONEY in more ways than one!

UPDATE 7/21/08: I just filled up for the first time (regular not premium) and I'm getting 28 miles per gallon. Very Excited!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike...way to go! I just leased the 4 cyl. Honda Accord...no wonder the American cars are having trouble...this car is amazing. Good to hear from you with the blog. Your comments are always interesting and engaging...keep up the effort. Tell your sales people that Radio will do close to $20 bil. in sales...how much of that will they get? Good selling.