Sunday, July 20, 2008

Be The Watchmaker

Both Fran and I come from a family of sellers. Fran's dad was was in the printing and office supply business in the garment center in New York. My father was in the greeting card, gift and party supply business in Chicago. I really believe that selling is in both of our bloods.

One thing that both my father and my father in law had in common was that they were both good story tellers. For many years I have affectionately called my father the "Watchmaker" because when you ask him a question you don't get an answer you get a story. You know the old saying, "If you ask him what time it is, he tells you how to make the watch." Thus, the "Watchmaker" moniker.

In retrospect, I see how my fathers "watchmaking" abilities made him successful in sales and business. My brother tells me that I have the gene and am carrying on the family tradition (I don't think he meant it as a compliment) and I have a bit of the "Watchmaker" in me. The truth is, as I get older, he is right.

I don't profess to be a great seller or a even a great story teller. Although, I do feel that a great story that is relevant to the presentation engages people, they remember you and it sets you apart from the pack. You stand out!

Paul Anovick recently highlighted former KOOL Radio, Phoenix General Manager and author, Brian Bielers's new book the Sales Operator. Paul's Blog entry is "We're Wired For Stories: Telling and Selling" Paul and Brian did a great job articulating the concept of telling stories and how it relates to sales. Paul goes on to say that....
"If you want to sell more, tell more tales. A good sales story stimulates the mind and engages people to conversation. If you are selling and people are not tuned to what you are saying, it's almost impossible to move them to action. Executives and world-class sellers tell stories to get people involved."
I'm reminded of a favorite quote from Michael Eisner. former head of Disney about story telling....
“At a certain level, what we do at Disney is very simple. We set our goals, inevitably fall short, try to learn from our mistakes, and hope that our success will continue to out number our failures. Above all we tell stories, in hope that they will entertain, inform and engage.”
Great story tellers are great sellers and leaders.... Be the Watchmaker!!

Are you a watchmaker or do you know any?

Read Paul's Blog here:

Brian Bieler,
author of The Sales Operator, visit Brian’s website at www.brianbieler.com.

No comments: